Honda Celebrates Incredible 2021 Worldwide Racing Season
- Honda drivers claim both FIA Formula One and NTT INDYCAR SERIES championships for the first time in the same year
- Acura sweeps IMSA Michelin Endurance Championship titles; Honda Ridgeline wins Baja 1000
- Other significant 2021 victories include Indianapolis 500, the Rolex 24 at Daytona and the Grand Prix of Monaco
Dubai, UAE, 27 December 2021: Honda is celebrating its most successful season of racing worldwide, highlighted by its drivers claiming both the FIA Formula One and NTT INDYCAR SERIES championships. This marks the first time Honda-powered drivers have won these titles in the same season – and the first time for any racing engine firm in nearly 40 years.
The titles won by Red Bull Racing’s Max Verstappen in Formula One and Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex Palou in INDYCAR competition are just two of the championships and major race victories recorded by Honda this year, including:
- Honda’s 10th INDYCAR Manufacturers’ Championship, the fourth consecutive title for the company
- Honda’s 14th Indianapolis 500 win, and a record-tying fourth Indy victory, for Meyer Shank Racing’s Helio Castroneves; with Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon claiming pole
- Manufacturer, Driver and Team IMSA Michelin Endurance Cup championship for Acura, Wayne Taylor Racing and drivers Filipe Albuquerque, Ricky Taylor and Alexander Rossi
- Eleven wins in Formula One competition, including the prestigious Grand Prix of Monaco for eventual champion Verstappen
- Victory for the Honda Ridgeline Race Truck in November’s Baja 1000, with drivers Jeff Proctor, Rossi, Richard Glaszczak and Steve Hengeveld
- Acura’s first overall Rolex 24 at Daytona victory with Wayne Taylor Racing
- Ten INDYCAR wins in 2021, for a total of 262 victories in CART, IRL and INDYCAR competition
“It’s been an incredible season from start to finish,” said David Salters, president and technical director of Honda Performance Development, the North American motorsports arm for Honda Racing and Acura Motorsports. “We began the season with an historic win for Acura at the Rolex 24 at Daytona; and we finished it with the FIA Formula One Drivers World Championship; plus the Indianapolis 500, INDYCAR titles and Baja 1000. It’s a credit to our awesome teams, brilliant drivers, magnificent HPD associates and the inspiring women and men involved in Honda’s worldwide racing programs. Thank you Honda, for supporting our challenging spirit and providing joy to millions of race fans worldwide.”
Racing is ingrained in the corporate culture of Honda, in a way unlike any other automotive manufacturer. A former racer himself, founder Soichiro Honda believed in competition at the highest levels as a means of improving his company, its people and products.
More than 55 years later, Honda continues to view racing as an ideal training ground for engineers and designers. The pressures of racing challenge them, forcing them to find new solutions to problems as they arise. They also demand that you be ready on time – for the new season, for qualifying, for the race. If you can’t respond quickly and correctly, you’ll be left behind.
– Ends –
Notes to the Editors:
About Trading Enterprises Honda
Trading Enterprises Honda, part of Al-Futtaim Automotive, is the sole UAE distributor for Honda vehicles, motorcycles, marine engines, power products and parts. Recognised as one of the largest independent Honda distribution companies in the world, Trading Enterprises Honda is supported by an expansive network of modern showrooms, after sales facilities, and retail Parts counters located across the UAE.
About Al-Futtaim Automotive
Al-Futtaim Automotive, one of the main five operating divisions within the UAE-based Al-Futtaim Group of companies, is a conglomerate of motoring-related businesses, franchising some of the world’s most-recognized automotive brands and services.
Operating in 10 countries across the Middle East, Asia and Africa and empowered by around 9,000 associates, the UAE-headquartered Group’s services span across distribution of new and used vehicles, manufacturing, leasing, and aftersales.
Ranging from passenger cars to SUVs, commercial vehicles, industrial and construction equipment as well as motorbikes and quads, Al-Futtaim Automotive Group offers an integrative customer-centric experience for motorists, fleet operators and contractors alike, and strives to become the leader in tailor-made mobility solutions.
Established in the 1930s as a trading business, Al-Futtaim Group today is one of the most diversified and progressive, privately held regional businesses headquartered in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Structured into five operating divisions; automotive, financial services, real estate, retail and health; employing more than 42,000 employees in more than 20 countries in the Middle East, Asia and Africa, we partner with over 200 of the world’s most admired and innovative brands.
Al-Futtaim’s entrepreneurship and relentless customer focus enables the organization to continue to grow and expand; responding to the changing needs of our customers within the societies in which we operate.
By upholding our values of respect, excellence, collaboration, integrity; Al-Futtaim continues to enrich the lives and aspirations of our customers each and every day. For more information visit: http://www.alfuttaim.com.