“DUBAI LIGHTS” RETURNS FOR ANOTHER SPECTACULAR EDITION DURING DUBAI SHOPPING FESTIVAL
- Tens of lighting installations from international renowned artists and studios exhibited in Dubai for the first time at City Walk, Dubai Design District and Palm Jumeirah
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 16 December 2022: The 28th edition of Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF) is adding more exclusive experiences to its action-packed 46-day calendar with the second edition of “Dubai Lights”. Running until 29 January 2023,the activation brings spectacular interactive lighting installations from renowned international artists and studios to Dubai at City Walk, Dubai Design District (d3) and Palm Jumeirah.
Festival goers can enjoy a special showcase of 10 unique interactive light installations that create an immersive journey of artistic lights and sounds. In partnership with Light Art Collection and Merex Investment, the outdoor exhibition “The Spark Within” celebrates the power, resilience and positivity of light and sound as a symbol of connection between people, places and nature.
- C/C is an interactive sculpture by Angela Chong that casts shadows by day and transforms into a colourful LED lightshow by night. The sculpture also functions as a seat for the public.
- LIGHT PIANO 2.0 by Arion de Munck and Mark Ridder combines art with music. It is composed of an arrangement of dozens of cubes connected to the keys of the piano that light up when the keyboard is played, enabling the audience to experience both the sound and light in a multisensory experience.
- Nest by Vikas Patil and Santosh Gujar is inspired by the male bowerbirds that build colourful nests for their partners. The installation plays on the idea of organic architecture in construction.
- Never Ends by Luigi Console & Valentina Novembre is an interactive installation involving a horse on a spring. When a visitor gets on the exhibit, that is when the light show comes to life.
- Run Beyond by Angelo Bonello is a work about the power of imagination and its ability to conquer fears and limitations. It plays on the theme of long jumping as a metaphor for opening oneself up to other cultures, new friendships and unknown worlds.
- Submergence by Squidsoup is a large, immersive, walkthrough experience composed of thousands of suspended lights that create the impression of a digital presence within a physical space.
- TORNADO by UxU Studio,is an installation that mimics the majesty of the natural phenomena.
- Sphere 3D Spectrum by Clifton Mahangoe brings together two opposites as harmonious partners. They form perfect circles surrounded by vibrations and spirals. In the projections, abstract dots and lines, images of sunlight, water reflections and swirling flocks of birds alternate.
- BUNCH OF TULIPS by Koros Design renders the symbol of Holland as a giant inflatable PopArt.
- DESIRE by Uxu Design is an installation of 1,500 lights intended to evoke the idea of passion.
DUBAI DESIGN DISTRICT (d3)
Dubai Shopping Festival in collaboration with Dubai Design District (d3), presents “Sky Castle”, an interactive sound and light installation by multi-award-winning Australian-based art and technology company ENESS, featuring a cluster of inflatable arches spanning a public space in a colourful symphony. The Sky Castle story was developed during lockdown as an expression of freedom from isolation and the positive clear skies that come after difficult times.
As guests move through the arches, their movement powers the melodic xylophone soundscape and causes colour changes in each arch. As more people join in the journey, the music crescendos in intensity, creating a lush, orchestral piece that differs every night in response to the flow of the crowd in Dubai Design District.
Visitors can expect a different type of light show atPalm Jumeirah, themed after the wonders of the sea.
Families can enjoy a hypnotic ‘Sea-Wonder’ carnival parade at The Pointe that will take them on an underwater journey of memorable and shareable moments until 17 December. Families can also stop by the event plaza for photos and fun moments under the brightly lit aquatic-themed arch until 29 January.
On Palm West Beach, visitors can experience the beautiful underwater world by taking a walk through the festive Sea-Wonderland. There is also a musical parade with performers dressed as sea creatures, running every 30 minutes from 6 pm to 9 pm on 18 December. While at Nakheel Mall, there will be a ‘Sea-Wonder’ parade from 6 pm to 8 pm on 23 and 24 December.
Earlier in the week, The Pointe, Palm West Beach and Nakheel Mall celebrated the launch of DSF with a dazzling lighting ceremony that featured a captivating firework display and awe-inspiring fountain show.
Shop, win and be entertained as Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF) returns from 15 December 2022 to 29 January 2023 with incredible deals, innovative events, world-class entertainment and life-changing prizes. As the longest running event of its kind, DSF has grown over the last 28 years into a signature celebration for citizens, residents and visitors alike. Featuring the ultimate retail therapy from a wide range of homegrown and global brands as well as live concerts, nightly shows, outdoors markets, pop-up dining and more, this year’s DSF experience is not to be missed.
Check out www.mydsf.ae and @CelebrateDubai and @StyledbyDubai on social media channels for more details.
– Ends –
About Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment
Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment (DFRE), an agency of Dubai’s Department of Economy and Tourism (DET), is responsible for developing Dubai’s retail and festival sectors and supporting the positioning of Dubai as a world-class tourism destination with year-round family entertainment, shopping and events.