Trusted for over 55 years and now a third generation education family, GEMS Education began in a single school room in Dubai. Today, we have the privilege of educating over 190,000 students from over 176 countries through GEMS owned and managed schools globally; over 270,000 students access resources through our services division; and we will impact 20 million by 2020 students through the initiatives of our Charity partner Varkey Foundation.
About the School
GEMS Metropole School, located in Motor City in Dubai, opened its doors in September 2014 and has continued to flourish and grow in student number and stature. The school is now open to students from FS1 to Year 13 with an all-through school capacity of 4200 students offering the National Curriculum for England.
The school has become well-known for their key areas of success, such as a strong community approach to education, highly inclusive school support to strong secondary options at Key Stage 4 and academic and vocational choices at Key Stage 5. In addition, the school has well-equipped classrooms, a highly competitive sports department, a farm, digital media rooms, innovation laboratories, dedicated science labs, music, art rooms and libraries.
Most recently the school has completely overhauled its digital strategy to lay the foundations to further its position as a leader in associated technologies in the region, focusing on the use of technology to a. enhance the learning experience of our students through experiential learning through the use of AR and AI technology b. improve feedback and communication between the student/teacher and teacher/parent and c. help reduce staff time and workload, helping to improve teacher wellbeing and reduce burnout.
Students from our Foundation Stage classes have access to attractive indoor and outdoor learning areas to explore and investigate, high quality Information Technology provision and Science provision to develop IT and Science-based literacy, and most recently a language hub to support key language skills across school.
In the Primary section, with the use of 1:1 technologies, students and teachers use iPads and interactive whiteboards to enhance learning opportunities where appropriate. The Secondary school continues to develop and grow and has seen the LEAD and skills programme blossom supporting students to make informed decisions and develop their learning and leadership skills. A new focus of personalised pathways is supporting students in their preparation for life after school and their journey towards success. In conclusion, GEMS Metropole School is a member of the British Schools of the Middle East (BSME) with the School Principal as a BSME Country Rep. This allows both teachers and students alike to continue to grow and develop with the rich traditions of the National Curriculum offerings and align itself with ‘like schools’ across the region and overseas.
About the Role
We are looking for an outstanding, innovative leader to join the GEMS Metropole Family in the position of Whole School Vice Principal.
The successful candidate will play a major role on the Senior Leadership Team supporting the Principal/ CEO in driving forward the whole school; strategically, creatively and operationally; and will join the community in September 2022.
We are looking for an inspiring leader with energy and commitment; who recognises the potential of our students; has a visible leadership style and will work with our staff to continue the school’s work to develop an aspirational learning environment for our whole school community. The post holder will be responsible for supporting the school’s Vision and Mission, GEMS core values, policies and practices and will deputise for the Principal as required in shaping & implementing the educational strategy for the school.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education or other relevant field with a teaching qualification
• 10 year’s educational experience with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a leadership role
• NPQH or other relevant senior leadership qualifications (desirable)
To be considered for this role, candidates must:
- Be an effective and dynamic leader with a proven track record in school improvement that can be demonstrated through data.
- Have extensive experience of leading a school through inspection, achieving significant impact during the process.
- Be rigorous in promoting excellence and developing commitment to high standards of care and opportunities for all.
- Be able to demonstrate successful experience of leading and managing staff including promoting and developing innovative approaches to learning.
- Be able to demonstrate a comprehensive and confident knowledge of student achievement, curriculum and assessment from FS to Y13.
- Be able to demonstrate genuine passion towards the wider co-curricular life of a school.
- Be confident in team and resource management, strategic planning and decision-making.
- Have a creative and enthusiastic approach both in and out of the classroom.
- Be an excellent team player both within the department and across phases.
- Have excellent IT and interpersonal communication skills to work closely with students and parents.
- Have at least five years’ relevant leadership experience.
If you meet these criteria, are enthusiastic about teaching and learning and have the drive and passion to get the most from our students then we would welcome your application.
We know that when it comes to being a great place to work, it helps to make sure our people feel valued; GEMS prides itself on providing staff with the opportunity to grow and develop within the Organisation. You will be able to access and contribute to our world class Professional Development and Leadership Programmes as well as work with our internationally recognized GEMS advisors who are leading experts in their field.
Working with GEMS offers you a unique opportunity to enhance and progress your career in a global setting. Whether this is your first role in international education or the latest in your successful career overseas, GEMS provides you with the unparalleled chance to be part of the world’s largest K-12 private school operator.