Aldar Academies are seeking an outstanding Teacher of History for Al Bateen Academy commencing Academic Year 2022-23.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
Al Bateen Academy is located in the center of the city of Abu Dhabi and is a hugely popular school based in a vibrant community. The school is a high achieving British and IB World School (Years 7 to 13) easily exceeding IB Diploma global averages year on year and achieving outstanding I/GCSE results. The school recently expanded into primary years, starting with FS2 to Year 3, and developed this year to include a full primary provision, FS2 to Year 6. The Primary Years Programme (PYP) is an exciting addition and provides the community with an all through school experience from FS1 to Year 13 offering PYP, UK and IB Diploma options.
The successful candidate will be closely aligned with the core values and ethos of Aldar Academies and Al Bateen Academy and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
- Planning for outstanding teaching and learning, in line with the schools Teaching and Learning Policy, through:
- Creating a climate for learning that is conducive for outstanding practice;
- Identifying clear teaching and learning objectives;
- Setting clear targets, building on prior attainment;
- Identifying SEN (POD), EAL and G&T students and ensuring that their needs are met through differentiation;
- Providing clear structure and planning for lessons and learning activities that maintain pace, challenge and engagement;
- Making effective use of assessment for learning;
- Making effective use of performance data and key indicators to inform planning and therefore deliver differentiated lessons;
- Making effective use of ICT to enhance learning and progress
- Maintaining discipline in accordance with the school’s ‘Behaviour for Learning Policy’ and encouraging good practice with regard to punctuality, behaviour, standards of work and homework;
- Assess how well learning objectives have been achieved and use them to improve specific aspects of teaching and learning;
- Mark students work at least once every two weeks, and set targets for progress, in accordance with the school’s Marking Policy;
- Assess and record students’ progress systematically and keep records; using performance data to inform planning, student learning and progress;
- Undertake assessment of students as requested by examination bodies, department and school procedures;
- Prepare and present informative reports to parents;
- Attend and support parent/student events;
- Take part in subject development by producing, reviewing and updating curriculum plans and schemes of work;
- Keep subject knowledge up-to-date through CPD and professional reading;
- Contribute to the school’s ECA Programme by leading/supporting one after-school activity each term (ECA excludes I/GCSE and IB DP Revision/Booster Sessions);
- To be an Academic Mentor and Extended Essay Supervisor to Year 12/13 students;
- Undertake duties as part of the staff duty rota;
- Cover for absent colleagues;
- Invigilate examinations, as required, to support the Examinations Officer and Summer Examination Schedule;
- Any other duties as assigned by the Principal.
- Bachelor of Education in History with PGCE or other teaching qualification.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a History Teacher.
- Experience in teaching GCSE History.
- Experience in teaching IB Diploma History and/or Global Politics is preferred.
Job Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Previous experience working with students whom English is not their first language.
- Passion for teaching and commitment to educating the whole child
- A high level of professionalism and consideration of the well-being of children
- Recent and consistent involvement in extra-curricular activities
- Respect for all members of a school community, irrespective of position, gender, age and ethnic background
- A positive and solution-focused attitude to working life
- A clean enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services check or police check
What we offer
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centred, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 20,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training. Successful candidates will have access to a wide network of professionals and opportunities to both lead and contribute to training others as well as developing themselves.
Aldar Academies are keen to hear from like-minded, forward thinking school leaders who would welcome the challenge and opportunities that we have to offer.
A covering letter and CV including details of two referees should be submitted.
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful on our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
As much as we would be delighted to entertain all applicants, due to high volume of applications and robust selection process, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 10 business days.