Aldar Education are currently seeking an outstanding Head of Year (Secondary Teacher) for Al Yasmina Academy in Abu Dhabi commencing next academic year 2022-2023.
Al Yasmina Academy is an outstanding English Curriculum school in the beautiful city of Abu Dhabi. With our globally recognised and admired curriculum, dedicated and passionate practitioners and outstanding teaching and learning, Al Yasmina Academy is an exceptional place to work. It has an exciting, diverse and progressive learning community that annually produces some of the very best I/GCSE and A Level result in the UAE. Our learning culture is under pinned by our core values of excellence, respect, passion, collaboration and creativity allowing all students to thrive. Furthermore, the Academy is extremely proud of its recent ADEK inspection, which rated Al Yasmina Academy as ‘Outstanding’ in all six performance standards, putting it amongst the top schools in the UAE and Middle East.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and ethos and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
Management of the team:
- To work with and support the Assistant Principal in creating a culture of resilience and responsibility towards the students’ personal development
- To lead and manage a team of form tutors, monitoring, developing and assessing their roles, and supporting their professional development
- To lead the development and monitoring of academy policies within the Year Group e.g. Homework, Behaviour, Attendance
- To lead and manage Year Team meetings, distributing agendas and minutes as per academy policy
- To work with form tutors to deliver pastoral programme of topics within the year team; to monitor the teaching and learning and impact of the programme
- To lead on areas of the Year Team, such as students leadership etc., as discussed with the Assistant Principal
- To provide induction and training for any form tutors new to the team
- To develop proactively your Year’s high standards of learning, attitude, uniform, attendance, well-being, punctuality, citizenship and responsibility
- To oversee Parent Teacher Consultations for the Year Group provision with the aim of generating the highest attendance
- To take an active role in organising Awards Assemblies for the Year group
- To attend Pastoral meetings
- To monitor and review throughout the year the academic progress of the Year group, and of individual students; to support form tutors and heads of department in establishing intervention strategies
- To liaise with the Senior Leadership Team on matters of student progress – to include academic, personal and social wellbeing issues
- Monitor attendance and punctuality within your year team and take steps to improve both in line with academy targets
- To undertake Quality Assurance
Student Guidance and Support
- To set a positive tone of high expectation in your cohort, encouraging increased involvement in the extra-curricular opportunities available, including the intervention sessions
- To develop further our partnership with parents in any way required
- To build relationships with parents and members of the community to bring them into the role of active partners in the quality of learning and development
- To promote community cohesion within the year group and the wider community
- To promote Student Voice within your year team
- To lead year assemblies and to develop models of assembly within the year team
- To be vigilant with regard to safeguarding and child protection issues, and lead good practice within the team
- Organise detentions and meetings with parents/carers as required. Support learning mentors and teachers in behaviour management
- To lead and manage all aspects of the Year group
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or other relevant field with a teaching qualification.
- Minimum of 3 consecutive years teaching performance that exceeds licensed teacher standards and expectations as evidenced through competency-based Performance Appraisal System.
- Experience in teaching specialist subject up to GCSE, A Level desirable but not essential.
- Previous experience working with students whom English is not their first language
- Passion for teaching and commitment to educating the whole child
- A high level of professionalism and consideration of the well-being of children
- Recent and consistent involvement in extra-curricular activities
- Respect for all members of a school community, irrespective of position, gender, age and ethnic background
- A positive and solution-focused attitude to working life
- A clean enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services check or police check
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centered, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 25,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational, and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing, and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training.
An application with a cover letter and CV including details of two referees should be made via the website.
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
Aldar Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.