Aldar Academies are seeking a Head of Social Sciences for Al Bateen Academy commencing Academic Year 2022-2023.
Al Bateen Academy is located in the center of the city of Abu Dhabi and is a hugely popular school based in a vibrant community. The school is a high achieving British and IB World School (Years 7 to 13) easily exceeding IB Diploma global averages year on year and achieving outstanding I/GCSE results. The school recently expanded into primary years, starting with FS2 to Year 3, and developed this year to include a full primary provision, FS2 to Year 6. The Primary Years Programme (PYP) is an exciting addition and provides the community with an all through school experience from FS1 to Year 13 offering PYP, UK and IB Diploma options.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and ethos and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
• Responsible for leading and managing the Social Sciences Department which currently includes Psychology and Citizenship. The post holder will also be responsible for leading and coordinating the Theory of Knowledge programme.
• Develop and implement policies and practices for the department which reflects the School’s vision, aims, commitment to high standards of achievement, and effective teaching and learning;
• Establish, monitor and evaluate short, medium and long term plans for the development of department;
• Use data effectively to identify students who are underachieving in department; create and implement plans of action to support those students;
• Analyse and interpret relevant school data, plus research and inspection evidence, to inform policies, practices, expectations, targets, teaching and learning methods;
• Ensure that appropriate and relevant schemes of work are developed, in place, and regularly reviewed and evaluated, for all year groups and courses. These must include suitable provision for SEN, G&T, and EAL students.
• Teaching and learning
• Ensure curriculum coverage, continuity and progression in department for all students including those of high ability and those with special educational needs;
• Establish and implement clear policies and practices for assessing, recording and reporting on student achievement;
• Set expectations for staff in relation to standards of achievement and the quality of teaching and learning and behaviour;
• Evaluate the quality of teaching and learning of department and use this to identify effective practice and areas for improvement; take action to further improve the quality of teaching and learning;
• Ensure the department is regularly contributing towards the school’s CAS Programme and after school Booster/Revision Sessions for I/GCSE and IB DP courses.
• Performance manage team in accordance with school performance management policy;
• Establish clear expectations and constructive working relationships with team, ensuring collaboration, sup-port, accountability and high professional standards;
• Hold regular department meetings with minutes and agendas; agenda should include focus on improving standards relating to student achievement and teaching and learning;
• Managing resources
• Efficient and effective deployment and control of staff, resources and budgets;
• Effective use accommodation to create an effective and stimulating environment for teaching and learning in accordance with Learning Environment Policy;
• Ensure a safe working and learning environment in which risks are properly assessed and Health and Safety policy and regulations are observed at all times.
• Contribute to the school’s CAS Programme by leading/supporting one after-school activity each term (CAS excludes I/GCSE and IB DP Revision/Booster Sessions);
• To be an Academic Mentor and Extended Essay Supervisor to Year 12/13 students;
• Cover for absent colleagues and invigilate examinations, as required, including a minimum of one evening and one weekend external examination session, to support the Examinations Officer and Summer Examination Schedule.
• Any other duties assigned by Head or Senior School or Principal
• Bachelor’s Degree in relevant subject field with PGCE or other teacher qualification.
• Experience of a British Curriculum would be advantageous.
• 5 years of experience in teaching a Social Science.
• Experience in teaching Theory of Knowledge is desirable.
• Inter-personal/communication skills
• Organisation skills
• Consistently graded very good/outstanding for teaching and learning
• Commitment to school’s vision and IB Philosophy and Mission Statement
• Passion for education, teaching, and a belief in the potential of every student
• Commitment to own CPD
• Ability to work under pressure, problem solve and take on extra responsibility
• Deal with challenging situations and be resilient
• To be able to maintain confidentiality.
• Cultural sensitivity to the needs of our community.
• An efficient and effective communicator.
WHAT WE OFFER
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centered, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 25,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational, and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing, and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training.
Successful candidates will have access to a wide network of professionals and opportunities to both lead and con-tribute to training others as well as developing themselves.
Aldar Academies are keen to hear from like-minded, forward thinking school leaders who would welcome the challenge and opportunities that we have to offer.
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
Aldar Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.