Aldar Education are currently seeking an outstanding Head of Post-16 for Al Yasmina Academy in Abu Dhabi commencing next academic year 2022-2023.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
- To create and deliver the vision, ethos and direction of the Post 16 provision within the Academy
- Embed a culture of resilience and responsibility towards the students’ personal development
- To line manage the Deputy Head of Post 16 (DHP16), Associate Heads of Year (AHoY) along with joint management of the Learning Mentors by monitoring, developing and assessing their roles, and supporting their professional development
- To lead the development and monitoring of academy policies within the Post 16 provision e.g. Homework, Behaviour, Attendance
- To lead on student achievement, welfare and conduct of the Post 16 students
- To oversee the transition and application processes and procedures for life beyond Post 16
- To work with SLT to ensure high quality teaching and learning within the Post 16 provision
- To work with SLT to ensure curriculum needs for Post 16 students is met
- Lead the transition and admissions process from KS4 into KS5 ensuring retention and recruitment of students
- To lead and manage Post 16 meetings, distributing agendas and minutes as per academy policy
- To work with DHP16 & Learning Mentors to deliver pastoral and enrichment programme of topics within the year team; to monitor the teaching and learning and impact of the programme
- To lead on areas of the Post 16 provision, such as students leadership etc., as discussed and agreed with SLT
- To provide induction and training for any learning mentors new to the Post 16 mentor team
- To ensure the Post 16 provision develops standards of learning, attitude, uniform, attendance, well-being, punctuality, citizenship and responsibility within students
- To oversee Parent Teacher Consultations for the Post 16 provision with the aim of generating the highest attendance
- To take an active role in organising Awards Assemblies for the Post 16 provision
- To attend Pastoral meetings
- To maintain records of Post 16 Alumni
- Lead on marketing and promotion of Post 16 provision
- Student progress:
- To monitor and review throughout the year the academic progress of Post 16 provision, and of individual students; to support learning mentors in establishing intervention strategies
- To liaise with the SLT on matters of student progress – to include academic, personal and social wellbeing issues
- Monitor attendance and punctuality within your year team and take steps to improve both in line with academy targets
- To undertake Quality Assurance of the reporting processes used with Post 16 provision
Student Guidance and Support
- To set a positive tone of high expectation in your cohort, encouraging increased involvement in the extra-curricular opportunities available, including the intervention sessions
- To build relationships with parents and members of the community to bring them into the role of active partners in the quality of learning and development
- To promote community cohesion within the year group and the wider community
- To promote Student Leadership within the Post 16 provision
- To lead year assemblies and to develop models of assembly within the year team
- To be vigilant with regard to safeguarding and child protection issues, and lead good practice within the team
- Organise meetings with parents/carers as required
- Leadership & Management
- To take a lead in all matters pertaining to the Post 16 provision
- To be the line manager for all members of the Post 16 Leadership Team
- Teaching and Learning
- To keep teaching and learning in Post 16 under review, including encouraging the sharing of good practice
- To observe lessons and part lessons at KS5 to be able to judge the quality of teaching and learning
- To ensure effective use of ALPs and other related data to monitor progress
- To liaise with SLs with regard to the quality of teaching and learning and the use of KS5 data in their areas
Curriculum (Alongside SLT)
- To work and support SLT to ensure a broad and balanced curriculum offer for KS5 students
- To keep abreast of all changes in KS5 curricula
- Individual Student Achievement (Alongside SLT)
- To ensure that all students are given the opportunity and necessary support to fulfil their potential
- To track and address underachievement at regular intervals and in liaison with subject staff
- Keep students and parents informed of progress through regular reporting and a clear intervention structure
- Student Welfare & Behaviour (Alongside SLT)
- To ensure that each student has the opportunity to discuss concerns and issues
- To take responsibility for Post 16 rewards and sanctions and implement the Post 16 sanctions policy
- To monitor attendance and punctuality and ensure high levels of both in Post 16 students
- To organise key events, including but not limited to the Post 16 Open Evening, Graduation, Marketing.
- To lead on reporting, options and hold the overview of exams in conjunction with the exams officer.
- To manage the Post 16 budget and utilise appropriately
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or other relevant field with a teaching qualification.
- Minimum of 6 years teaching experience including 4 consecutive years teaching performance exceeds standards and expectations as evidenced by Performance Appraisal.
- Experience in teaching GCSE and A Level is essential.
- Previous experience working with students for whom English is not their first language
- Passion for teaching and commitment to educating the whole child
- A clean enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services check or police check
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.