Aldar Academies are currently seeking an outstanding Head of English for Al Mamoura Academy in Abu Dhabi commencing in the upcoming 2022-2023 academic year.
Al Mamoura Academy is a British curriculum, mixed gender primary school and a girl’s only secondary school located in a state of the art building in the heart of Abu Dhabi. We strive for excellence in all that we do through our high expectations and commitment to ensuring that we provide high quality learning opportunities for our students. Our vision is to create “A sustainable and innovative learning community, where we nurture our learners through Collaboration, Leadership and Creativity”. This vision is supported by the Al Mamoura Learner and Teacher DNA which is at the heart of the school community.
A. Strategic direction and development of the department
• Develop and implement policies and practices for department which reflect the School’s vision, aims, commitment to high standards of achievement, and effective teaching and learning
• Establish, monitor and evaluate short, medium and long term plans for the development of the department
• Use data effectively to identify students who are underachieving in department; create and implement plans of action to support those students
• Analyse and interpret relevant school data, to inform policies and department/school SEF writing
• Ensure that appropriate and relevant schemes of work are developed, in place, and regularly reviewed and evaluated, for all year groups and courses. These must include suitable provision for SEN/POD, G&T, and EAL students.
B. Teaching and learning
• Ensure curriculum coverage, continuity and progression in department for all students including those of high ability and those with special educational needs
• Establish and implement clear policies and practices for assessing, recording and reporting on student achievement
• Ensure that the department follow school policies for learning and teaching, including the school Marking Policy and Teacher and Learner DNA characteristics
• Set high expectations for staff in relation to standards of achievement and the quality of learning and teaching and behaviour
• Evaluate the quality of teaching and learning of department and use this to identify effective practice and areas for improvement; taking action to further improve the quality of teaching and learning
• Ensure the department is regularly contributing towards the school’s CAS Programme and after school Booster/Revision Sessions for I/GCSE and A Level courses.
C. Leading and managing staff
• Performance manage team in accordance with school performance management policy
• Establish clear expectations and constructive working relationships with team, ensuring collaboration, support, accountability and high professional standards
• Hold regular department meetings with minutes and agendas; agenda should include focus on improving standards relating to student achievement and teaching and learning.
D. Managing resources
• Efficient and effective deployment of staff and resources
• Maintain efficient and effective control of the Department’s Resource and CapEx budgets
• Effectively use allocated teaching spaces to create an effective and stimulating environment for teaching and learning in accordance with Learning Environment Policy
• Ensure a safe working and learning environment in which risks are properly assessed and Health and Safety policy and regulations are observed at all times.
Other duties and responsibilities
• Contribute to the school’s CAS Programme by leading/supporting one after-school activity each term, including leadership of Model United Nations (MUN)
• To be an Academic Mentor to Year 11/12/13 students
• Undertake duties as part of the staff duty rota
• Take an active role in pastoral aspects of the school, including responsibility as a form tutor/link tutor
• Cover for absent colleagues
• Invigilate examinations, as required, including a minimum of one evening and one weekend external examination session, to support the Examinations Officer and Summer Examination Schedule
• Any other duties as assigned by the Principal.
• A Bachelor degree in Education or Bachelor of Arts in English with PGCE or equivalent teaching qualification.
• Minimum 6 years Teaching experience in English National Curriculum.
Job Specific Knowledge & Skills :
• Very good/outstanding teacher
• Teaching across ability range with proven success
• Experience of leading whole school initiatives that have led to improvement in standards and achievement
• Experience of line/performance management
• Experience of working in more than one International School
• Experience of teaching US & UK Curriculums
• Leadership skills
• Inter-personal skills
• Knowledge of coaching and its benefits
• Knowledge of UAE Ministry of Education and ADEK regulations
• Experience leading/facilitating CPD and coaching programmes
• Commitment to the school’s Vision, USP’s and Strategic Intentions
• Passion for education, teaching, and a belief in the potential of every student
• Ability to work under pressure, problem-solve, deal with challenging situations and be resilient
• Commitment to continuing professional development (CPD).
WHAT WE OFFER
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centered, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 25,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational, and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing, and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training.
Successful candidates will have access to a wide network of professionals and opportunities to both lead and contribute to training others as well as developing themselves.
Aldar Academies are keen to hear from like-minded, forward thinking school leaders who would welcome the challenge and opportunities that we have to offer.
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunities employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
Aldar Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.