Aldar Education are currently seeking an outstanding Head of Department- Modern Foreign Languages (French and Spanish) for Al Yasmina Academy in Abu Dhabi commencing next academic year 2022-2023.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
• Assist academy in achieving its overall vision and strategic intentions and to contribute to the achievement of relevant targets as set out in the academy’s improvement plan and self-evaluation form.
• Lead strategic direction and development of the department, including but not limited to setting the vision, analysing data, improvement planning, target setting and ongoing self-evaluation.
• Create a culture of high aspirations.
• Further develop an outstanding teaching and learning culture ensuring outstanding achievement for all.
• Lead on curriculum development ensuring outstanding provision for all, including an enhanced extra and co-curricular programme.
• Lead and manage staff, including but not limited to overseeing staffing, recruitment, performance appraisal and professional development.
• Efficient and effective deployment of staff and resources, including but not limited to budget planning, timetable overview and talent acquisition.
• Lead on the marketing of the department to promote the school, raise the profile of the subject and increase student numbers.
• Communicate effectively and proactively with all stakeholders.
• Play a lead role in developing key policies and practices that support the Academy’s overall aims, vision and values.
• Other duties which may be reasonably assigned by the Principal or Head of School.
Setting the strategic direction and development of the Department through:
• Developing policies and practices.
• Monitoring the effectiveness of learning and teaching and of systems/practices; evaluating their impact on student progress and standards.
• Ensuring that all practices promote student progression; improved achievements; a positive ethos and the commitment of staff to shared goals.
• Developing a department development plan through collaborative work that dovetails and supports the whole academy’s development.
Leading on Learning and Teaching through:
• Outstanding subject(s) or specialism(s) knowledge.
• Monitoring and reviewing students’ progress through the use of appropriate data; homework; student interviews; lesson observations; student work reviews and parental contact.
• Identifying through Performance Management, individual training needs and ensuring that those needs are met.
• Identifying and implementing strategies to enhance Learning and Teaching.
• Involving external advice and expertise where this would further benefit and enhance the learning agenda.
Leading on Curriculum, Data and Recording and Reporting through:
• Leading curriculum development and resourcing.
• Ensuring that appropriate and relevant schemes of work are developed, in place, and regularly reviewed and evaluated.
• Ensuring that students are prepared effectively for examinations, and other assessments.
• Organising key events and extra-curricular activities.
• Organising and ensuring effective assessments, moderation, collation and analysis of data in line with the MER calendar and quality assurance procedures.
• Ensuring data is used effectively at a classroom and teacher level.
• Analysing and interpreting relevant school data, to inform policies and department/school SEF writing
• Using performance data to inform learning episodes and therefore continue to ‘add value’.
• Monitoring student progress and achievement against targets, identifying students who are underachieving and where necessary create and implement effective plans of action.
• Effectively communicating with parents through all communication channels.
Leading and Managing Staff through:
• Setting clear expectations and establishing constructive working relationships and set an outstanding example through personal and professional conduct.
• Developing responsibilities and delegating tasks appropriately.
• Engaging in Performance Management as required by the academy’s policy.
• Leading the Professional Development of identified staff to enable all members to achieve expertise in Learning and Teaching.
• Fostering a sense of ‘people’ and ‘team spirit’ through a culture of high reward and praise.
• Ensuring departmental systems and practices support whole academy policies and the commitment to achieving outstanding.
• Taking part in marketing and liaison activities.
Leading the Efficient and Effective Deployment of Staff and Resources through:
• Ensure efficient and effective recruitment deployment, management and organisation of staff and learning resources.
• Ensuring that there is a safe working and learning environment for both students and staff.
• Ensuring that accommodation and resources are used to create an effective and stimulating Climate for Learning.
• Ensuring value for money and cost effectiveness in the use of staff and resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or other relevant field with a teaching qualification.
- Minimum of 6 years teaching experience (dual linguist up to A Level desirable) including 4 consecutive years teaching performance exceeds standards and expectations as evidenced by Performance Appraisal.
- Experience in teaching GCSE and A Level is essential.
- Previous experience working with students for whom English is not their first language
- Passion for teaching and commitment to educating the whole child
- Respect for all members of a school community, irrespective of position, gender, age and ethnic background
- A clean enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services check or police check
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centered, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 25,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational, and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing, and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training.
An application with a cover letter and CV including details of two referees should be made via the website .
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.