Aldar Academies are seeking a Head of Biology for Al Bateen Academy commencing Academic Year 2022-2023.
Al Bateen Academy is located in the center of the city of Abu Dhabi and is a hugely popular school based in a vibrant community. The school is a high achieving British and IB World School (Years 7 to 13) easily exceeding IB Diploma global averages year on year and achieving outstanding I/GCSE results. The school recently expanded into primary years, starting with FS2 to Year 3, and developed this year to include a full primary provision, FS2 to Year 6. The Primary Years Programme (PYP) is an exciting addition and provides the community with an all through school experience from FS1 to Year 13 offering PYP, UK and IB Diploma options.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and ethos and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
- Develop and implement policies and practices for department which reflects the School’s vision, aims, commitment to high standards of achievement, and effective teaching and learning;
- Establish, monitor and evaluate short, medium and long term plans for the development of department;
- Use data effectively to identify students who are underachieving in department; create and implement plans of action to support those students;
- Create effective tracking sheets across IGCSE and IB Biology, track student attainment across the curriculum and liaise with HOD to coordinate Teaching and Learning strategies to improve attainment in Biology.
- Analyse and interpret relevant school data, plus research and inspection evidence, to inform policies, practices, expectations, targets, teaching and learning methods;
- Ensure that appropriate and relevant schemes of work are developed, in place, and regularly reviewed and evaluated, for all year groups and courses. These must include suitable provision for SEN, G&T, and EAL students.
- Ensure curriculum coverage, continuity and progression in department for all students including those of high ability and those with special educational needs;
- Ensure SOW are updated and DL Learning provision is created across IGCSE Biology and IB Biology
- Establish and implement clear policies and practices for assessing, recording and reporting on student achievement;
- Establish and implement the assessments for IGCSE Biology and IB Biology as per the curriculum
- Liaise with the HOD and Exams Officer to ensure IGCSE Biology and IB Biology Examination entry data are ac-curate
- Set expectations for staff in relation to standards of achievement and the quality of teaching and learning and behaviour;
- Evaluate the quality of teaching and learning of department and use this to identify effective practice and areas for improvement; take action to further improve the quality of teaching and learning;
- Ensure the department is regularly contributing towards the school’s CAS Programme and after school Booster/Revision Sessions for I/GCSE and IB DP courses.
- Contribute to CPD and share best practice across the Science team.
- Performance manage team in accordance with school performance management policy;
- Establish clear expectations and constructive working relationships with team, ensuring collaboration, sup-port, accountability and high professional standards;
- Hold regular department meetings with minutes and agendas; agenda should include focus on improving standards relating to student achievement and teaching and learning;
- Efficient and effective deployment and control of staff, resources and budgets;
- Liaise with HOD to ensure all subject-related resources are effectively managed and tracked and indicate any additional resource requirement for the subject area for the academic term.
- Ensure all Textbooks and Teaching and Learning Resources meet ADEK Compliance for Biology
- Effective use accommodation to create an effective and stimulating environment for
- Teaching and learning in accordance with Learning Environment Policy;
- Ensure a safe working and learning environment in which risks are properly assessed and Health and Safety policy and regulations are observed at all times.
- Assist academy in achieving its overall vision and strategic intentions and to contribute to the achievement of relevant targets as set out in the academy’s improvement plan and self-evaluation form
- Comply with regulations pertaining to health and safety at work legislation and adhere to academy policies relating to safe working practice and equal opportunities regulations
- Comply with the academy’s Performance Management Policy ensuring challenging annual targets are set and to fulfill the role of performance management reviewer if directed to do so by the Principal
- Engage in annual training linked to child protection, safeguarding and health and safety together with all training deemed appropriate for the purpose of academy improvement or performance management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the related subject with PGCE or other teacher qualification.
- Minimum of 6 years teaching English National Curriculum
- Previous experience working with students whom English is not their first language
- A high level of professionalism and consideration of the well-being of children
- Recent and consistent involvement in extracurricular activities
- Respect for all members of a school community, irrespective of position, gender, age and ethnic background
- A clean enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services check or police check
WHAT WE OFFER
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centered, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 25,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational, and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing, and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training.
Successful candidates will have access to a wide network of professionals and opportunities to both lead and con-tribute to training others as well as developing themselves.
Aldar Academies are keen to hear from like-minded, forward thinking school leaders who would welcome the challenge and opportunities that we have to offer.
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
Aldar Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.