We require an ambitious, experienced and highly skilled leader to secure the highest possible outcomes in Science across KS3, KS4 and KS5. The successful candidate will need to be able to motivate others, harness the key strengths of their colleagues and lead continual improvement in Science and STEM across identified phases.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and ambitious middle leader with a track record of outstanding classroom practice and leadership at subject/curriculum level.
Key Responsibilities upon appointment:
- The development of the curriculum/subject leads under your leadership.
- Be accountable for Science outcomes of students across phases Phases 3 and 4 (Keys Stage 3, 4 & post-16).
- To quality assure and develop the learning and teaching of Science within specific phases and across the school.
- To develop the vision for Science in the forthcoming years to support the aims, priorities and ethos of the school.
- To ensure that priorities are aligned with the school development plan and accurate self-evaluation takes place.
- To act as a positive role model and provide inspirational and strategic leadership to all stakeholders.
- Drive the National Agenda priorities associated directly with Science and STEM, ensuring practice and key messages are embedded.
- To liaise with the Principal for Middle & Upper School and Deputy Headteacher (Whole school Curriculum & Assessment) to ensure effective deployment of staff according to skillset and experience.
- Implementing the process of strategic action planning, target setting and monitoring for all teachers and post-holders through stringent performance management.
- To lead and promote the importance of numeracy across the whole school through the implementation of initiatives and high quality daily practice.
Learning, Teaching and Curriculum
- A relentless focus on improving the quality of Learning and Teaching of Science across designated phases.
- To role model the high standards of learning and teaching and lead by example as an outstanding classroom practitioner.
- To develop high quality teaching across all phases which leads to exceptional outcomes for students across all age ranges.
- To be actively involved in the quality assurance of learning and teaching via the school’s MER process and develop strategies to support and develop staff accordingly.
- To design curriculum maps and schemes of work that ensure students’ skills are developed in preparation for GCSE and IB study.
- To ensure technology and digital learning is fully embedded into the Science curriculum across all phases, preparing students for education and life beyond GWIS.
- To effectively monitor curriculum development and be flexible enough to respond to National (UAE and British Curriculum) and local initiatives.
- Ensuring continuity exists in curriculum transition from Year 6 to year 7 and at other transitional points, such as Key Stage 3 into GCSE.
Assessment: Progress and Attainment
- Rigorous and timely analysis of student performance and progress data.
- Identification of student needs and implementation of key actions to drive improvement in student outcomes.
- Quality assurance of assessment design to ensure they yield accurate, reliable and valid data for the purpose of analysis and intervention.
- Ensure the quality of marking, assessment (both formative and summative) is consistent and adheres to the Science marking and assessment policy.
- Identify and take appropriate action on issues arising from data, reports and student attainment.
- To ensure that effective standardisation and moderation procedures are embedded into department practice.
Developing self and others
- Lead continuing professional development of staff, including teaching staff and curriculum leaders.
- Supporting other members of the school’s leadership team in planning and delivering whole school professional development.
- To develop a structured programme of advice and support to improve practice, through a coaching and modelling approach.
- Establish and maintain effective and appropriate professional working relationships at all levels.
- Lead and support staff in developing and sustaining positive working relationships within and across phases.
- Lead and undertake the performance management reviews for Science leads and where applicable, the wider team.
- Where appropriate, support the interview/selection process for teacher recruitment and ensure effective induction of new staff.
- Actively pursuing your own professional development as a senior leader.
The successful candidate will have:
- A B.Ed or subject related degree and PGCE / PGDE or equivalent
- Proven experience of teaching Science at key stage 3, 4 and 5
- The ability to share your outstanding practice
- A creative and enthusiastic approach both in and out of the classroom
- Excellent IT and interpersonal communication skills to work closely with students and parents
All positions attract an excellent remuneration package including:
Competitive tax-free salary, individual fully furnished accommodation, free schooling, private medical insurance, annual airfares to country of residence and end of Service Gratuity.
GEMS Teachers also have free access to our loyalty app GEMS rewards www.gemsrewards.com which provides significant savings on day-to-day life in the UAE. We offer thousands of discounts and 2 for 1 offers on everything from flights, hotels, restaurants and retail outlets, making your salary go further and enhancing the opportunity to save whilst working overseas.